Local District Past Residents
King Edward Ave Albion
Barlcay Reserve was named after Cr Thomas Reginald (Reg) Barclay, a Sunshine City Council Councillor.
In 1954, the H.V. McKay Memorial Gates were opened, thus forming the main entrance to the reserve. At one stage the Council had removed the gates and placed them into storage. The gates have since been returned to the park and they now form an attractive entrance to the replica of H.V. McKays Smithy.
Over the years the site has seen a number of tenants including the Sunshine Baseball Club, the 5th Sunshine Scout Group, a Girl Guides Group and the Albion Cricket Club. After the Girl Guides moved out of their club rooms, The Sunshine Fly Casting Club moved in.
The Baseball Club is still active whereas the scouting and guides building are now not in use. The old cricket club rooms and nets have been demolished.
A replicate of the H. V. McKay's Smithy and the H.V. McKy Gates are located at the eastern end of the site.
Ref: When The Whistle Blew, A Social History of The Town of Sunshine 1920 - 1950, Prue McGoldrick.