Local District Past Residents
St. Marks Church
100 Anderson Rd, Sunshine
(Demolished, now the Holy Apostles Anglican Church)
The first services of the Sunshine St. Mark's Church were held in the Sunshine Mechanics Institute. Mr. H.H.J. Norwood was the Lay Reader of the District.
On the 3rd July 1895, the first St. Marks Church built for purpose in Derby Rd, Braybrook Junction was consecrated. It was described as having red gum foundations, a framing of Oregan fir covered with red deal weather-boards and plastered internal walls.
In 1907, Rev. Reginald McCoy was appointed the church's first Vicar. The following year in April the first baptisms were recorded at the church. Baptized were Ida Margory Matthews, Gwendoline Beynon, John Cowrie & Robert Tait Rogers.
In 1911, Thomas Portwine & Mary Ingle were the first couple to be married in the church.
The land on the corner of Anderson Rd & Fraser St (now Sun Cres) was purchased in 1914.
In 1916, Rev. F.H. King was appointed the vicar but as he was then appointed the A.I.F. Vicar for WW1, Rev. E. Warner was subsequently appointed as the new vicar.
In 1918, a hall from Pascoe Vale was purchased and moved to the Sunshine site.
During the 1920's & 1930's, a number of vicars were appointed to the church including Rev. Robert Hamilton, Rev. John Howard Richardson, Rev. Leonard John Harwood, Rev. Allan Ernest Winter & Rev. Francis Algernon Townsend.
In 1941. a new church building fund was established.
Rev. Ronald Frederick Adams was appointed vicar in 1943 followed by Rev. T.R. Vizard in 1950.
By the mid 1950's the planning of the new church building was well underway and the old church was painted during a working bee.
In 1956, Rev. B.H. Reddrop was appointed vicar.
On the 11th October 1959 saw the last Sunshine service in the old church.
The dedication of new church building took place on the 17th October 1959. Two years later Rev. J.L. McAuley was inducted as the new vicar, followed by Rev. J.G. Bond in 1968.
In 1973, disaster struck when the old wooden church building was destroyed by fire.
In 1974, Rev. F. Dearnaley became the church's new vicar.
This church has been demolished and a new church has been built on this site.
Today the bell tower that can been seen in this photo still stands beside the entrance to the new Holy Apostles Anglican Church.
Note the original wooded church hall to the right.
Ref: St. Marks 80 years of Anglican Witness 1975