Maidstone Tennis Club & Public Hall
Thomson St, Maidstone
The Maidstone Public Hall was built in the 1910's. The Hall was Maidstone's social life hub for over 100 years. The hall also served as the district's Infant Welfare Cente and meals on wheels.
The hall was demolished in 2014. The site is now a small passive community park.
At the rear of the hall there are tennis courts with a federation style club house. This club house was the former Sunshine Bowling Club rooms which were relocated from the Anderson Rd, Sunshine site.
The club house and tennis courts remain and are now one of the two venues where the Maidstone Tennis operates from. When not in use by the tennis club, courts are open to the public.
1965 Thomson St Maidstone Infant Welfare Centre
1965 Thomson St Maidstone Public Hall & Tennis Courts
1970 Thomson St Maidstone Public Hall
1970 Thomson St Maidstone Tennis Courts
1974 Thomson St Maidstone Public Hall
1974 Thomson St Maidstone Tennis Courts
Source: Sands & McDougall Directories
Photos: Friends of Maidstone Facebook Page
The photo below was when the tennis club house were located in Anderson Rd, Sunshine and being used by the Sunshine Bowling Club as their club rooms.