Local District Past Residents
R.A.A.F. No 1 Stores
South Rd, Braybrook
During the Second World War, the Australia War Cabinet identified the need for a new a store that could purchase, store and distribute clothing, equipment, stationery and other supplies to the Australian Air Force.
In 1943, a site was purchased off the Victorian Railways. One of the advantages of this site was the easy access to the Victorian Railways network.
Building of the stores and a direct railway line siding to the railway network commenced mid 1944.
The R.A.A.F. commenced its operations at the site on the 2nd July 1945 but not all the buildings had been completed.
With the war ending in September 1945, the site continued to expand to include a R.A.A.F. police dog training centre, a supply officer training centre and an accommodation complex complete with mess areas, chapels, gyms, sports grounds, etc.
The base became a major employer of the district that on average employed 550 service and civilian personnel.
In 1989, the 50th anniversary of the formation of the Store was marked with a Freedom of Entry to the City of Sunshine. This festival also included a march down Hampshire Rd, Sunshine.
In 1990 the Defense Department announced the Store would close and it's operations would move interstate. The Store was finally closed on the 25th June 1993.
Much of the site has been demolished but the guard house and office block at the Ashley St side remains. The railway siding has also been removed.
The site is now the Central West Shopping Centre which occupies the north - east corner of the site, a mix of commercial and industrial businesses at the southern end and a residential housing estate at the north western corner.
Ref: Maribyrnong Heritage Review Volume 3 Historic Places Industrial places in the City of Maribyrnong,
Jill Barnard Graeme Butler Francine Gilfedder & Gary Vines, 2000: Volume 3: Appendix 1: 6
Photos: R.A.A.F. No 1 Stores 50th Anniversary