Ginifer Railway Station (1982 - 2016)
Furlong Rd, St. Albans
Ginifer Station (1982 – 2016)
Location: St. Albans Rd, St. Albans.
Distance from Spencer Street Station (Southern Cross Station): – 16.215km (10.7 miles). This station was located opposite Mulhall Drive.
1966 – The need for a station between Albion and St. Albans is raised in the Victorian Parliament by Jack Ginifer (MLA). Flashing lights and bells are provided at the Furlong Rd crossing.
1973 – Sunshine Council suggests that the station being proposed at Furlong Rd should be named “Sheperd” after the former Labour Member for Footscray.
1979 – The St. Albans South Progress Association presents a petition with 1200 signatures that a railway station should be built near Furlong Rd.
1982 – The Ginifer Station opens.
1985 – Traffic lights installed at Furlong Rd and St. Albans Rd.
1989 – New offices (portables) and gardens are completed.
2016 – The Station is closed and platform is removed. A new station is built closer to Furlong Rd as part of the Level Crossing Removal Project.
Ref: Fifteen Railway Stations of the West (Footscray to Sunbury) by Tom Rigg January 2009.