St. Albans Railway Station (1887 - 1959)
Main Rd West, St. Albans
St. Albans Station (1887 -1959)
Location: Main Rd West, St. Albans.
Distance from Spencer Street Station (Southern Cross Station): – 18.12km (11.25 miles). This station was located on the north side of Main Rd West approximately 313 metres from the existing station.
1886 – The Cosmopolitan Land and Banking Company wrote to the Railway Commissioners requesting that a railway station be built in the area.
1887 – The St. Albans Railway Station opens for passengers. The station is located on the north side of Main Rd West.
1888 – A post office at the railway station opens and the station master is place in charge. Suburban trains operate between Spencer Street Station (Southern Cross) and St. Albans.
1889 – The station’s booking office is completed. A portable house is provided for the porter.
1907 – An anonymous letter was sent to the Railways Commissioners suggesting the station to be moved 1 mile further north.
1908 – The post office is moved from the station to a local store in Main Rd West.
1921 – The line is electrified from Footscray to St. Albans. The suburban electric trains terminated at this station.
1926 – The station master’s position is withdrawn and replaced by a caretaker and three porters. James Robinson is the last station master.
1954 – The station master’s position is restored.
1959 - The station is closed and a new station is built south of Main Rd West to reduce the number of railway gate closures. The station's original platform, signal bay and booking office are demolished.
1888 – George Newstead.
1888 – Cornelius William O’Brien.
1891 – William McCallum.
1893 – William Thomas Smith.
1894 – Robert Surridge.
1897 – James Robinson.
Ref: Fifteen Railway Stations of the West (Footscray to Sunbury) by Tom Rigg January 2009.