Local District Past Residents
Sydenham Railway Station (1887 - 2002)
Keilor - Melton Rd, Sydenham
Sydenham Station (1887 – 2002)
Location: Keilor – Melton Rd, Sydenham.
Distance from Spencer Street Station (Southern Cross Station): – 23.966km (14.88 miles).
1887 –The Keilor Rd Station is renamed to Sydenham. A Telegraph office is opened at the station.
1901 – A signal box and booking office are completed.
1912 – New station building is built.
1930 – The station master’s position is abolished and replaced with porters.
1984 – Discussions took place between V-Line, M.M.B.W, the Bond Corporation and Keilor Council regarding the relocation of the station.
2002 – A new station is built 750 metres toward St. Albans and is called “Watergardens”. The original station is closed. Traffic lights are installed at the Melton Rd crossing.
2018 - The Keilor - Melton Rd (Melton Hwy) level crossing was removed.
1901 – Timothy Gleeson.
1904 – William John Sullivan.
1906 – Francis James Ryan (acting).
1907 – Thomas Edward Heaney.
1911 – David King O’Gorman.
1912 – James Austin Hanrahan.
1921 – Dennis Greelish.
1923 – Thomas Bowden.
Bottom three photos are of the memorial of the Keilor - Melton Rd Level Crossing that was removed in 2018.
Ref: Fifteen Railway Stations of the West (Footscray to Sunbury) by Tom Rigg January 2009.
Photos: City of Keilor Centenary Souvenir 1863 - 1963