Raleigh's Meat Works, Van Ness Avenue, Maribyrnong
Joseph Raleigh meat works began at this site where many thousands of sheep were slaughter. In 1868 a meat cannery began operations and it became Australia's biggest cannery.
Being on the banks of the Maribyrnong has handy for the transportation of goods but unfortunately the river was also used as a drain for waste products.
After the closure of the meat works, the Hume Brothers opened their cement iron works on the site.
The site is now the location of Melbourne's Living Museum of the West.
Some of the earlier meat works buildings are still standing on the site.