Roxy Picture Theatre
51 - 57 Ballarat Rd
In 1931, George Kirby arrived in Sunshine and took over the lease of the Sunshine Theatre. After the successful opening the new refurbished Sunshine Theatre in 1938, George turned his attention to other possible locations in the district. In 1945, George opened the Roxy Theatre in Ballarat Rd, Maidstone.
George soon expanded his theatre business to other districts including Altona, Bacchus Marsh and Sorrento.
George went on to create the Village Roadshow company and this business is still in existence today.
The site of the Roxy Theatre is now a service station.
1948 Ballarat Rd Roxy Theatre
1955 Ballarat Rd Roxy Theatre
1960 Ballarat Rd Roxy Theatre
1965 51 - 57 Ballarat Rd Roxy Service Station
1970 51 - 57 Ballarat Rd Roxy Service Station
1974 51 - 57 Ballarat Rd BP Roxy Service Station
Photos: Sunshine Cavacade 1951
Ref: Sands & McDougall Directories