Local District Past Residents
Sunshine Mechanics Insititute
Corio St, Sunshine
Built in about 1910, the Mechanics Institute was first located in Hampshire Rd in what is today's R. T. Pollard Gardens.
It was one of the early community facilities built by funds raised by H.V. McKay's employees.
The building provided a large hall for community use, billiard & reading rooms and a public library. The building also contained the office of the Shire Hall Keeper, Robert "Bob" Fraser Grant. He became the first librarian and held the position for 25 years.
In the early 1950's, the building was relocated to it's current site in Corio St due to the extensions being made to the Memorial Hall.
On the 1st March 1954, the Sunshine Municipal Library opened in the building, serving the community as it was originally built.
On the 27th May 1965, the library moved to the new library building in McCracken St and a children's library open in the Corio St building.
The building is currently being used by the Sunshine Voice Of Christ Full Gospel Church.
Ref: S&DHS Newsletter Series 5, No 11, September 2009.