Sunshine Rifle Club No 447 Shooting Range
Wright Street, Sunshine
The rifle club was gazette by the Defense Department in 1915. Rifles were issued by the department to the club soon afterwards.
The club's foundation executive members included Mr. Samuel "Sam" McKay (Captain), Douglas Gordon Munro (Secretary) & William Weir MacKerlie (Treasurer). Another 51 members joined the club. All residents of the district were welcome to join the club.
The club leased land off Mr. Lachlan A. Fairbairn along the banks of the Kororoit Creek and then set up target ranges with distance between 200 and 800 yards.
The shorting butt was located on the east bank and the target butts were located on the West bank of the Kororoit Creek. Evidence of the ford crossing between the two sites can still be seen today.
A number of the club's members enlisted in the Armed Services during WW1.
John "Raymond Alex Robinson
In 1918 the club opened a miniature rifle range along the railway line in Sunshine.
Ref: Independent (Footscray) 11th September 1915 Page 2
Re: Sunshine Advocate 12th October 1918 Page 2