Local District Past Residents
The Hunt Club Hotel, Ballarat Rd, Deer Park
A hotel was first located at this site in 1850's. Over the years the hotel has been called various names including the Kororoit Creek Hotel, the Barley Mow Hotel & Plough Hotel. This hotel was described as an old English style wooden building pub consisting of eleven rooms exclusive of a store room and kitchen.
The current Hunt Club Hotel building was built in 1886 on the former site of the burnt down ruins of the original hotel. It is one of the few 19th Century buildings remaining in the district.
The hotel was named by the members of the Melbourne Hunt Club who used the hotel as a base for their deer hunts after leasing land nearby of over 300 acres from Sir W. J. Clarke.
The Hunt Club Hotel operated between 1886 and 1911.
In 1911, the hotel became a private residence.
In 1921, the site was purchased by the Australian Explosive and Chemicals Co Ltd (now ICI Australia). At first the building was used as the unmarried accommodation quarters for men working in the explosive factory.
In the 1950's the company converted it into a centre for research and staff training.
In 1982 the City of Sunshine purchased the site and three years later the Council opened The Hunt Club Community and Arts Centre. The Sunshine & District Historical Society operates out of the small cottage at the rear of the site.
1886 Kororoit Creek Hotel - Downes, E.
1873 Barley Mow Hotel - Cunningham, James
1879 Barley Mow Hotel - Cunningham, John
1880 Barley Mow Hotel - Harrison, Joseph
1886 Hunt Club Hotel - Harrison, Joseph
1888 Hunt Club Hotel - Lovelock, Agnes
1891 Hunt Club Hotel - Missen, George
1903 Hunt Club Hotel - Smith, John Thomas
1905 Hunt Club Hotel - Smith, John Thomas
1906 Hunt Club Hotel - Smith, John Thomas
1908 Hunt Club Hotel - McDonnel, J.
1909 Hunt Club Hotel - Smith, John Thomas
1910 Hunt Club Hotel - Smith, John Thomas
1911 Hunt Club Hotel - Smith, John Thomas
1912 Hunt Club Hotel - Fleming, David
Ref: DW Meale S&DHS Pioneer Lunch 2008
Ref: S&DHS Cat 540
Ref: Sands & McDougall Directories