Washington St - Half Houses
16 Warmington St
After the end of the second world war and with the mass migration from the war torn Europe, many of the new arrivals were allowed to build a "Half House" consisting of a single room or two with one door and a small number of windows. They were constructed of fibro-cement and positioned near the back of a house lot with the expectation that a full-scale house would be built to the front in the future.
Is is estimated up to 1000 of these half houses were built in the St. Albans area. Today only a few handful remain.
While it has been acknowledge the last surviving half house standing is located in George St, St. Albans and that others do exist at rear if properties,
The two located in Washington St, St. Albans are two examples that are still standing, These are expected to be demolished in the near future.
1960 16 Washington St Richards, A.
1965 16 Washington St Richards, A.
1965 27 Washington St Jakob, J.
1970 16 Washington St Zammit, T. Z.
1970 16 Washington St Knaver, F.
1970 27 Washington St J akob, J.
1974 16 Washington St Zammit, T. Z.
1974 16 Washington St Knaver, F.
1974 27 Washington St Jakob, J.
Ref: St. Albans Historical Society
Ref: Sands & McDougal Directies
27 Warmington St